We live in a fast-paced world but that doesn’t mean that people’s nutrition should be disregarded. Along with a healthy breakfast and a satisfying dinner, we, as moms, should also know the value of serving a tasty and nutritious lunch. Let’s face it, most days, family members are either at school or at work for lunch but that shouldn’t stop us from serving healthy and delicious food other than PB and J sandwiches. Here are some tips for preparing on-the-go meals for busy mothers like you:
- Do the Prep Work Ahead of Time. More often than not, prepping ingredients can take up a lot of precious time. If you want to prepare fast meals, you’re going to have to pre-cut you fruits and veggies and pre-portion your meats like beef, poultry, or fish and store them in the fridge so that when you need them, they are ready.
- Stock Up on Pantry, Fridge, and Freezer Staples. Having pasta, beans, canned tomatoes, cereals, grains, broth or stocks, olive oil, curry powder, milk, and eggs on hand can help moms in coming up with great meals every day without staying in the supermarket for too long.
- Collect Recipes. Sometimes it can be daunting trying to come up with a filling and nutrient-packed lunch especially when there is so much left on our to-do list. In order to avoid getting stressed over deciding what to prepare for lunch, clip recipes from magazines or print out interesting ones you find online and be sure to store them in a single area. This way, you can just pull one recipe and get cooking.
- Opt for Simplicity. When you are pressed for time, going for meals that pack a punch without the need for slaving over a hot stove is a definite lifesaver. Put together simple but filling salads or wraps that will leave your family satisfied and not sluggish for the rest of the afternoon.
- Pre-pack Lunches the Night Before. This is the perfect time to get the kids involved with meal prep. Let the youngsters choose from an assortment of food items that can be included in their lunch boxes while you prepare the entrée.